Monday, May 25, 2009

falling into short stories

It was only very recently that I was introduced to this particular genre of literature called short stories. I do not know the big names of this culture and haven’t had any time to do a digging into the relics of short story telling. Apart from the fact that the flickering tongues of the grand-moms are an expertise in narration of short stories, unfortunately of which my ears have no experience. But I have to indeed mention the old school Gulmohar English books of prose most of which I don not remember, some of which I only made notes, and a few I loved reading.

Since those days and now most recently I picked one Rudyard Kipling’s collection after which I picked Maupassant’s and then Saki’s and now looking for O Henry’s. Tell you what its really good reading, does not take long time though I haven’t finished all of them yet. Deciding to read one I end up reading five or till ‘am dead asleep (mostly do reading before sleeping). Talking about Kipling, his stories are more about the sub-continent’s life then, during the British rule. Lots about the soldiers living in India, the life of people under British rule. His way of narration is very raw to read (my opinion as an armature) in an English that I had not learned at school. But once you start picking up you might find hard to keep it down (not always, sometimes you might sleep). Among all that I had read “The Story of Muhammad Din”, “The Phantom Rickshaw”, and “The Daughter of the Regiment” is worth mentioning. And yes! “The Finest Story in the World” was real fun.

Of Maupassant and Saki, they are all individually different from each other, so are their stories. Will talk about them some other day.

No comments: