Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Nevermind

         Many a time as a kid, really a small kid like 6 year old; I remember of having to face strange questions while being introduced to an Uncle, an Aunt or a distant relative along with other question like what is your name, which school do you go to, which class are you in and

 “What is your aim in life?”

  • I want to be a teacher
  • I want to be a doctor
  • I want to be a policeman 
  • I want to be an engineer 
   and many more want to be’s in life.

         All of it being induced into you by your parents, your teachers or sometime you learn from fellow mates in class. Because it was also a general practice at School, when in a new class or when a new teacher joins your class during the custom of introduction we would stand up one by one and say, “Hello Miss Rita. My name is Robin. And my aim in life is to become a doctor. Thank you.”

          I used to say I want to become an Engineer because someone told me that an uncle of mine is an Engineer so they have a car and we do not. Engineers get to drive cars. So I should also become an Engineer, drive car and live in a bigger house and yes own a color TV too.

          Perhaps its a good practice to induce a good profession into a child’s mind and while in process of growing up they begin to like it and many may actually be able to fulfill it. Like me, I did become an Engineer after all and will definitely say its because it was my aim in life as a kid and partly because that was all the opportunity I could create for myself. Its altogether a different thing that I still do not own a car nor live in a bigger house.

          However I do remember this one instance when having seen in TV, a game of boxing the previous night I declared in class that my aim in life is to become a “Boxer”- what resulted was a complete surprise to me I had not expected that at all. I was scolded and punished, made to stand all through that hour long class.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I told them i wanted to become like sachin tendulkar man and no one scolded me :-P its the general perception of sport in india I guess only one is respected.....


But i tell you my friend wanted to be Father Teresa

gautom said...

:) :) :)

I were trying to really understand the very idea of having an aim in life at so early in life... what if you are not able to achieve it later, what affects could it have on the person etc...

aaah!! hmnn! nevermind